Friday, July 7, 2017

The Novice by Taran Matharu: Short Review

Hello guys,

So I was very excited about reading The Novice, and I liked what I knew about the plotline. Honestly, another driving factor for me was the beautiful cover. Yes, I am one of those people who gets pulled in by a pretty cover. But just look at it...can you blame me?

HOWEVER,

I started reading the book last week and found it very engaging. I liked Fletcher and getting to know him was fun. I like the setting of the novel and learning about how he grew up. I liked his relationship with his adopted/foster father and Berdon took him when no one else in the village was inclined or could afford to.

Once Fletcher summoned his first demon, and after the incident with Didric, that was when things started to go downhill for me. I felt like the story shifted and was trying to be something that it wasn't. Since I just started reading Harry Potter, I could see traces of that in the plot; and where HP flourish this book failed. The side characters were mildly entertaining and were just very underdeveloped. Fletcher became somewhat of a boring character after he got to the school and was always finding himself in some mishap. The characters as a whole also came off very juvenile and lacked depth, which would be okay if this was a middle-grade novel and not targeted to older teens.

The one thing that I did like throughout the novel were the demons, I like how they behaved and how they came to the aid of their summoners when in need. I specifically, like Ignatius, he was my favorite and too cute.


*** I won't go too much further into the storyline of the book because I don't want to spoil it for any of you guys who may have an interest in picking this one up at some point.
For readers who are looking for something like Harry Potter, I would still suggest this book. Lots of people like this series or I wouldn't have heard about on booktube, so my experience with this book is very subjective.

With that being said, I had such high expectation that I bought all three books in the series, and now I won't be continuing on with them. So I will be hosting a giveaway at some point to you guys, and maybe one of you lucky folk will enjoy it more than I did. Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Novice by Taran Matharu: Short Review

Hello guys, So I was very excited about reading The Novice, and I liked what I knew about the plotline. Honestly, another driving factor...